Primary level. Age 6-7
Students will be placed into this class upon completion of a placement class.
In this level, students are taught fundamentals of ballet technique and develop the self-discipline necessary to continue study in the Classical Ballet Program. We continue the emphasis on the relationship between movement, music, and expression. Primary level classes prepare students for the next level of study, the beginning of the School’s Classical Ballet Program. The best students ( ballet skills, attendance, commitment, fast-thinking) will start individual classes and preparation for more serious ballet education.
The students will learn:
- proper positioning of legs and feet, muscle tone exercises.
- Routines for back strengthening and flexibility. Proper posture while sitting, standing or laying down.
- Classical arm positions (basis: arondy/alonge) proper formation of the wrist.
- Jumps: take-off, landing, and posture before and after jumping, practice a range of jump styles.
- Musicality and rhythm comprehension. Stepping into and out of the musical phrasing.
- Choreography schemes.
Blue short-sleeved leotard and blue tulle skirt with blue ribbon, available from BISD
Pink ankle socks or tights – students may wear any plain lightly pink thin socks
Pink canvas ballet slippers
White short-sleeved leotard. Black bike shorts or tights. White ankle socks – students may wear any plain thin white socks. White ballet slippers